Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
We’re looking for a Senior Fullstack Engineer who is eager to demonstrate technical insight, who writes quality code and enjoys collaborating with other engineers to join our Index Library team. We build solutions to interesting problems- developing more efficient and optimized ways to call additional demand sources in the real-time bidding process on our platform.
A Senior Fullstack Engineer takes ownership of their work, encourages peers in their division to avoid silos, and leads by example. Since they are at a point where their seniority is more visible in this role, they easily apply technology principles and design techniques based on the experience they have accumulated, allowing them to contribute to complex designs, as well as make suggestions for implementing improvements in any given piece of code.
A Sr. SE applies technology principles and design experience to multiple tasks and complex designs. They participate in system design tasks; design modules to the constraints imposed by the system and actively contribute to the design of related modules.
What We’re Looking For:
- “Indexness”: Be a capable leader in demonstrating the Index values and sets an example for others in their teams and across the division.
- Embrace it. Lead it: A Sr. SE not only plans for change but looks for opportunities where change would bring long term benefits, even at short term cost. They raise issues, propose solutions and work with others to mitigate the impact. They should work with their team to reinforce a need to remain agile and plan for change.
- Support Each Other. It Matters: A Sr. SE is someone who is regularly depended on by many people. They actively work to support their team for coverage and expertise. They are relied upon by leaders and Product for guidance. They work to set a team culture where supporting each other truly matters.
- Learn it. Teach it : Become an expert in various areas, and in some cases has a bigger impact by empowering others. They work to identify gaps in knowledge and training and bridge that gap by running KTs, presenting at Agoras and Town Halls, and setting an example for others to follow.
- Build Real Trust. It Doesn't Just Happen: A Sr. SE has built great knowledge of our systems and technologies, and uses that knowledge to provide guidance. They take great care to ensure their information is accurate. They use this combined with experience to provide forecasts and commitments on large projects and work to deliver on them, raising issues as they surface.
- Be Intentional. Launching is Fun. It’s the Landing that counts: A Sr. SE is a senior contributor to the team and takes ownership of large projects and components. They work with Product and leaders to set goals and follow through with data to validate outcomes. They work towards completion, ensuring serviceability, telemetry and high quality are part of their definitions of done.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- You’ll be working on cutting edge programmatic ad tech systems that handle hundreds of billions of transactions every day
- The systems and tools you’ll be working on allow our partners to easily interact with our exchange including work on Open-Source projects
- Designing, writing, and testing robust and reliable code
- Working closely with product to deeply understand the domain and identify opportunities for improvements
- Finding practical technological solutions
- Analyzing and estimating work in an agile environment
- Fostering a collaborative environment by bringing people together to come up with better designs and approaches to complex problems
- Suggest, promote and implement improvements to coding standards and practices
Here's What You Need:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience as a full stack software engineer
- Positive attitude and ability to learn (new technologies, new ways to work)
- You are team-oriented and embrace change.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation, and practicality are important qualities
- Understanding and hands on experience with all aspects of developing end-to-end web applications and microservices. This includes architecting, coding, debugging, optimizing/refactoring, automated testing, and deploying of APIs
- Our codebase runs on GoLang, but we are happy to talk to engineers who are proficient in any back-end technology and willing to learn.
- Modular, extensible, reusable, maintainable, performant and testable code
- Automated testing platforms and unit tests
- General computer science / engineering knowledge: Algorithms, design patterns, software architecture, etc.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- One day off per year to volunteer
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.