Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
We are looking for a Staff Engineer who is eager to demonstrate leadership and technical acumen, who writes quality code and enjoys offering guidance, mentorship and direction to our teams. The Data team makes transaction analytics available to our clients through our data warehouses, reporting solutions, transaction solutions and our modernized billing datasets.
Working with exciting technologies, our team will experiment with new tools and engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, and we rely on our Engineering teams to keep Index Exchange and our clients ahead of the curve and moving in the right direction.
Here’s what we want:
- Problem Solver: You are curious, and love exploring multiple approaches to find the most efficient, scalable solution and solve a problem
- Collaborative: You work well with other people
- Passionate: You have a passion for the latest trends and developments constantly researching new tools and technologies
- Self-Starter: You are comfortable helping your team get things done
- Leadership: You can mentor the team on the design, and implementation of our solutions
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Designing, writing, and testing robust and reliable code
- Working with users of the software to deeply understand the domain and identify opportunities for improvements
- Identify and assess potential solutions for technical and business suitability
- Analyzing and estimating work in an agile environment
- Guide and mentor team members
You may or may not tick off every box, and that’s okay. Each person brings a different background and different skills. If you think you are a good match for what we are looking for tell us why, and tell us what you are doing to improve yourself and we’ll see what we can do to help!
- Bachelor/Master degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- 7+ years of work experience as a Software Engineer
- Deep understanding of algorithms, design patterns, debugging and performance optimization
- Experience designing, writing and testing high quality clean back-end server-side code in a large and scalable deployment environment
- Excellent problem-solving, communication and leadership skills
- Proficiency in any of the following programming languages and technologies: Golang, Java, Scala or Python
- Familiar with CI/CD, containerization, and virtualization tools such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience working with Linux environments, resilient and scalable platforms is an asset
- Experience of API,UI, and financial numerical methods development is an asset
- Experience working with following data related systems is a plus: Kafka, Vertica, Mysql, MariaDB
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.