Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange’s advertising exchange handles billions of auctions and generates terabytes of auction-related information every day. Our team builds tools and infrastructure to manage this vast amount of data and make it accessible for our customers. We’re looking for a Staff Kafka Engineer that is specialized in Kafka to join our team, and help build the next generation of big data solutions at Index Exchange.
Working with exciting technologies, your team will experiment with new tools and engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, and we rely on our Engineering teams to keep Index Exchange and our clients ahead of the curve and moving in the right direction. We’re looking for Engineers who have experience in an Agile environment, who can drive innovation, and be a technical leader on our team.
What We’re Looking For:
- Problem Solver: You are curious and love exploring multiple approaches to find the most efficient, scalable solution and solve a problem
- Collaborative: You work well with other people
- Passionate: You have a passion for Big Data and an interest in the latest trends and developments constantly researching new tools and data technologies
- Self-starter: You are comfortable helping your team get things done
- Leadership: You can mentor the team on the design, and implementation of our solutions
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Design, implement, and create customized pipelines for ingestion that are robust using Kafka.
- Work with Terabytes of data and data aggregation.
- Identify, design, and implement system performance improvements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements
- Automate manual processes and optimize data delivery
- Guide and mentor team members
- Identify and assess potential solutions for technical and business suitability
Here's What You Need:
You may or may not tick off every box, and that’s ok. Each person brings a different background and different skills. If you think you are a good match for what we are looking for tell us why, and tell us what you are doing to improve yourself and we’ll see what we can do to help!
- Bachelor/Master degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- 7+ years of work experience in a software engineering environment
- Experience working in Agile methodologies
- 3+ years of work experience designing and building high performance data applications with Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive or other equivalent technologies
- Proficiency in some of the following languages: Scala, Java, Python, Bash
- Deep understanding of design principles of distributed systems and familiar with mainstream big data related technologies and distributed frameworks
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL systems
- Experience with automated testing systems
- Mentorship, collaboration, and communication skills
- Knowledge of data modelling, data warehousing, ETL processes, and business intelligence reporting tools
- Experience optimizing performance with large data sets
- Experience working with CI/CD, containerization, and virtualization tools such as Gitlab, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Docker
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.