We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
We are looking for a Machine Learning Researcher to develop solutions for real-time prediction and optimization problems utilizing state of the art techniques and partner with engineering, product and analytics teams to test and transfer these solutions to production. You will develop a deep understanding of the exchange and auction process, identify opportunities to improve efficiency and develop and test hypotheses to build the next generation global marketplace for publishers. You will work with a highly collaborative, entrepreneurial and interdisciplinary team to help shape the scientific vision of Index.
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience with recommender systems, ranking algorithms, multi-armed bandits or related areas
- Practical experience with A/B testing
- Experience with large-scale ML production systems and frameworks
- Experience with GPU-based high-performance computing
- Strong publication record with articles in top-tier machine learning venues
- Prior ML experience in ad tech or a related industry
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Ranking algorithms for publisher inventory with optimal exploration/exploitation tradeoffs
- Pricing models and uncertainty estimation for winning auction bids
- Optimizing publisher request signals to improve bids and minimize latency
- ML model compression and model inference execution time optimization
- Auto-tagging advertiser images and videos
- Optimizing exchange infrastructure performance and costs
Here's What You Need:
- PhD in Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics or a related field
- Deep understanding of probability, statistics and optimization
- Familiarity with modern ML algorithms and their mathematical foundations
- Proficiency with Python or another language and development tools
- Experience with modern ML frameworks, e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow
- Experience manipulating and analyzing very large high-dimensional datasets
- Ability to implement state of the art ML models from reading academic papers
- Ability to work independently researching new solutions to unsolved problems and collaboratively as part of a cross-functional team to deliver results
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.