Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
This is an exciting opportunity for a Software Engineer to join our Exchange Experience team. This group protects the user experience, the trust of our partners, and the safety of our business by supporting global privacy and legal initiatives and eliminating malicious advertisers and publishers. This group also works to ensure seamless and high-quality integrations with our existing and new partners.
The work we do requires high quality code in a large and scalable deployment environment, complex problem solving, understanding of Agile software development, and the ability to collaborate with a diverse group of people. We are looking for Engineers who want to be invested in the business and are aware of the impact their effort makes.
What We’re Looking For:
- Team Player: You have a bit of experience, but you are eager to learn more. You like working closely within a team with others, pair programming and you like to participate in team discussions.
- Problem Solvers: You are tenacious at finding solutions and creative ways to tackle problems while working with others amicably and presenting your viewpoints.
- Technical Curiosity: Learning new frameworks and languages excites you – you are not satisfied with the status quo; we are always open to new ideas – that’s how we got where we are today, and we need more.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Working on cutting edge programmatic ad tech that touches millions of users every single day
- You will see your code in action every day and you won’t be bored in this role
- Working with users of the software to deeply understand the domain and identify opportunities for improvements
- Finding practical technological solutions to problems
- Analyzing and estimating work in an agile environment
Here's What You Need:
- 1-3 years of experience as a Software Engineer working with backend server-side code in a large and scalable deployment environment
- Expertise in algorithms, performance optimization, design patters, and memory optimization
- A strong desire to work with and learn from the talented people around you – we greatly value people and interactions
- Excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation and practicality are important qualities
- Knowledge of ad tech is a nice to have
- Experience working with Linux environments and resilient and scalable platforms is an asset.
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data
- Knowledge in any of the following are assets:
- Golang, C++, Perl, Python and Scala
- Kubernetes, Kafka, Docker, Aerospike
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.