Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
We’re looking for a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) who can bring their depth and breadth of experience to help us continue to scale while maintaining high standards for efficiency, quality, performance, integrity, and technical excellence.
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, Quality (functional, performance, reliability, resiliency, efficiency, yield) is absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
What We’re Looking For:
- Problem Solvers: You are tenacious at finding solutions and find creative ways to solve problems while working with others amicably and presenting your viewpoints
- High Standards: You enjoy designing, writing, and testing high quality scalable code, within a robust CI and CD DevOps tooling culture
- Knowledge Hungry: Learning new frameworks and languages is exciting to you – you’re not satisfied with the status quo. We use a variety of languages and tools to solve problems and we're interested in what you're looking to learn. We’re always open to new ideas — that’s how we got where we are today, and we need more
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- You’ll be working on cutting edge programmatic ad tech that touches millions of users every single day
- Be a key technical member building and supporting our software/data test automation framework and related capabilities
- Participate in definition, design, development and maintenance of tools, test cases, and automation frameworks
- Team with Product Management, SW Engineering, DevOps, and other technical teams in planning and coordination of test automation initiatives
- Interpret functional requirements and designs to plan, develop, write, execute, and automate functional and data validation test plans
- Work with engineering and infrastructure teams on strategy and maintenance for required TDD/CI/CD development and test environments
- Provide feedback and influence the design process to help us build a testable platform, applications, and data models
- Design and build quality, performance, and reliability in from day one, and inspire other team members to do the same
- Document and communicate module and automation framework functions, interfaces, performance criteria, test cases, and results to diverse audiences
- Conduct defect management activities to include problem identification, issue research, analysis, and documentation
- Work closely with the development team for test reviews, issue diagnosis, resolution and closure
- Lead or assist in data analysis to determine data health and consistency, or root cause of issues
Here's What You Need:
- You are talented, fast learner and embrace change
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- 2 years of formal and organized quality assurance testing and automation experience in commercial software environments
- Experience designing and building simulation software to validate functionality and performance of end-to-end software solutions
- Automated testing and data validation experience for high volume and large data sets
- Experience in algorithms, performance optimization, design patterns and memory optimization
- Excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation and practicality are important qualities
- A desire to work with and learn from the people around you – we greatly value people and interactions
- Knowledge in any of the following are assets:
- C++, Python and Scala
- Kubernetes, Kafka, Docker, Aerospike
- Any other tools or techniques that would make sense for us
We’re looking for the right combination of personality and ingenuity to push our product to the max, inspire those around you and have fun doing it.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.