Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
We’re looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to build and run high scale, distributed and exceptionally reliable systems. We are looking for an engineer who can work seamlessly across our Engineering teams to bring complex and challenging projects to fruition. You will help us continue to refine and mature our Ops tool set and DevOps approach. You will be working in our Cloud Platform Operations team to build our capabilities in key areas such as storage, server provisioning, continuous integration and deployment, monitoring, alerting, and container orchestration.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- 5 + years of experience as an engineer for an internet based company
- Advanced working knowledge of Kubernetes design, implementation, and operations
- Working knowledge of Golang, Python or Bash
- Hands on experience with Infrastructure as Code and tools such as Salt, Ansible, Puppet or Terraform
- Strong experience with capacity planning, disaster recovery and monitoring
- Exposure to working and leading in a globally distributed, culturally diverse team
- Enthusiasm for working in a bare metal environment with distributed, open source platforms
Nice to haves:
- Experience with building, maintaining and troubleshooting open-source distributed storage solutions such as Ceph, MinIO, Gluster in a highly automated environment and at scale
- Experience with storage orchestration technologies / storage systems like Rook, OpenEBS, Longhorn, STORK
- Experience with storage level replication technologies
What We’re Looking For:
- Facilitator: It’s essential that you can relay information and ideas effectively both within and across different teams. While we place a huge premium on technical skill, we value just as much your ability to work with other people
- Adaptable: Our industry moves fast and we need you to keep up and adapt. Acting as an Operations Engineer, you have the ability to prioritize tasks, often against competing scope and timelines
- Technical: A strong foundation in Operations, and experience in solving complex problems and building solutions (including CI/CD, real-time monitoring, production issues, etc.)
- Rigorous: We design and manage massive, globally distributed systems that handle billions of transactions a day - your approach and solutions need to be thorough, scalable and ironclad
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Build and operate a highly scalable, performant and resilient systems that operate on a global scale
- Develop automation to handle logging, monitoring and maintenance of our global infrastructure and achieve operational excellence
- Identifying Opportunities to improve efficiency of our CI/CD pipeline and optimize productivity.
- Work with different technologies such as Ceph, Aerospike, InfluxDB, Kafka etc to enhance and optimize existing systems
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.