We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
About The Role
We're seeking an experienced and quality-focused Principal Engineer to lead the technical strategy for the data infrastructure team and platforms. The environment must tolerate high scale, distributed, and exceptionally reliable data infrastructure. We are looking for a technical leader who can work seamlessly across our Engineering teams to bring complex and challenging projects to fruition.
What We’re Looking For
- Facilitator: It’s essential that you can relay information and ideas effectively both within and across different teams. While we place a huge premium on technical skill, we value just as much your ability to work with other people.
- Adaptable: Our industry moves fast, and we need you to keep up and adapt. Service as the Principal Engineer, you have the ability to prioritize tasks, often against competing scope and timelines.
- Technical: A strong foundation in Data Engineering & Infrastructure, and experience in solving complex problems and building solutions for robust, durable and performant data platforms.
- Rigorous: We design and manage massive, globally distributed systems that handle billions of transactions a day - your approach and solutions need to be thorough, scalable, and ironclad.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing
- In collaboration with engineering leadership help define the roadmap for our next-generation of data systems and platforms.
- Lead a core team of technologists with wide experience in systems and distribute low-latency data engineering to execute on that roadmap
- Relentless driver of quality, performance, and uptime. Being a player/coach in both process and infrastructure improvements
- Ensure that Index’s data continues to be secure, compliant and accessible for internal and external stakeholders
- Working across a variety of technologies, teams, and stakeholders to understand their data needs and build toward them.
- Prototype new technologies and implement innovative solutions to enable teams to consume and understand data faster.
Here's What You Need
We are seeking candidates with 5-7 years of recent experience leading a team responsible for data storage, movement, processing, and analytics. If you think you can apply your skills and experience throughout some or all of the following areas we would love the opportunity to speak with you.
- Expert level experience with Data Engineering tools and frameworks, processes, goals and methodologies.
- Experience with one or more of the following platforms: HDFS, Spark, Kafka, HBase, Kubernetes, Object Store(S3), Flink, Vertica, Presto/Trino, RDBMS (Mariadb), NoSQL(Mongodb), Aerospike
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and social skills - Lead by example to empower and challenge the team to deliver their best.
- Strong sense of ownership of the development process and the will to drive the team toward constant code, application and process improvements.
- Experiencing architecting, building and maintaining complex, multi-component big data systems, warehouses, and lakes.
- Multiple years of Data Engineering management experience leading and supporting the development and maintenance of applications, tools and processes.
- Knowledge in data security, data privacy and experience in building batch and stream data processing solutions with structured and unstructured enterprise data
- Demonstrated track-record in high availability, high resiliency, low latency and scale.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- One day off per year to volunteer
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.