We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer who takes ownership of their work, encourages peers in their division to avoid silos, and drives initiatives forward. A Software Engineer II applies known technology principles and design experience to multiple tasks and complex designs. They participate in system design tasks; design modules to the constraints imposed by the system and actively contribute to the design of related modules.
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7 in our global data centers, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, global efficiency and reliability are absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
What We’re Looking For:
- “Indexness”: Be a capable leader in demonstrating the Index values and sets an example for others in their teams and across the division.
- Embrace it. Lead it: A SE II not only plans for change but looks for opportunities where change would bring long-term benefits, even at short-term cost. They raise issues, propose solutions and work with others to mitigate the impact. They support their team to reinforce a need to remain agile and plan for change.
- Support Each Other. It Matters: A SE II is someone who is regularly depended on by their peers. They actively work to support their team for coverage and expertise. They work to set a team culture where supporting each other truly matters.
- Learn it. Teach it : Become an expert in various areas, and in some cases has a bigger impact by sharing knowledge with others. They work to identify gaps in knowledge and training and bridge that gap by running KTs, and setting an example for others to follow.
- Build Real Trust. It Doesn't Just Happen: A SE II has built good knowledge of our systems and technologies and uses that knowledge to move initiatives forward. They take great care to ensure their information is accurate. They use this combined with experience to provide forecasts and commitments on large projects and work to deliver on them, raising issues as they surface.
- Be Intentional. Launching is Fun. It’s the Landing that counts: A SE II works with Product and leaders to set goals and follow through with data to validate outcomes. They work towards completion, ensuring serviceability, telemetry and high quality are part of their definitions of done.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- You’ll be working on cutting edge programmatic ad tech and large scale data processing pipelines that handle billions of transactions every day
- You will see your code in action every day and you definitely won’t be bored in this role
- Designing, writing, and testing robust and reliable code
- Working with product owners and end users of the software to deeply understand the domain and identify opportunities for improvements
- Finding practical technological solutions
- Analyzing and estimating work in an agile environment
- Fostering a collaborative environment by bringing people together to come up with better designs and approaches to complex problems
- Suggest, promote and implement improvements to coding standards and practices
Here's What You Need:
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Engineer
- You’re super talented, a fast learner and embrace change
- Computer Science or related field of Bachelor degree
- A desire to work with and learn from the people around you – we greatly value people and interactions
- Be able to design, write and test high quality code for a large and scalable environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation and practicality are important qualities
- Be data-driven and able to perform comprehensive data analysis to spot trends and troubleshoot issues using SQL
- Experience with any of the following is an asset: Golang, Scala, Java, C++, Perl, Python, Kubernetes, Kafka, Spark, Docker, data visualization tools
- Experience building APIs and UIs for financial systems is an asset
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Company paid comprehensive health and life insurance plans
- Paid Time off and flexible work schedules
- Company contribution to Provident Fund
- Participation in our company Stock options plan
- Company paid Parental Leave
- Monthly internet stipend
- One Time Office Set up Allowance
- Quarterly Wellness allowance
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Volunteer paid day off
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.