Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
We’re looking for a Staff Program Manager who can bring their depth and breadth of experience to help us continue to scale while maintaining high standards for efficiency, quality, performance, integrity, and technical excellence.
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, Quality (functional, performance, reliability, resiliency, efficiency, yield) is absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
What We’re Looking For:
A builder, enabler, and amplifier of world class program delivery and tooling:
- A strong hands-on technology leader to develop and champion the near-term targets against long term strategy for a robust data-driven SDLC for all technology teams
- A respected technical and process role model and mentor for engineering teams, leading, motivating, and challenging a diverse globally distributed technology team
Growth focused data-driven process leadership:
- Define an integrated and measurable program delivery process that enables cross functional collaboration, focused on dependency and risk management
- Drive alignment across all development scrum teams to SDLC standards and best practices
- Build, maintain, and drive the operational excellence roadmap, in close collaboration with technology leaders
- Champion for quality-first and data-driven decisions, development, and delivery
- Communicate process measures and continuous improvement strategies, and influence technology and product direction of peers and executive leadership
- Make and meet commitments, communicating changes in plans whether they be design or timeline modifications honestly and transparently
Leadership role model and exemplar:
- Excellent communication skills, which include active listening and the ability to present complex ideas in concise written and verbal descriptions which are easily understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong systems thinker, able to assess complex systems and processes, drive focus on the key objective metrics that are most impactful to the business, and drive highly targeted initiatives and tooling to continually optimize and improve same
- Strong people skills - able to communicate with colleagues while simultaneously building credibility and rapport. Also, able to modify one's behavioral style to respond to the needs of others while maintaining own objectives
- A strong leader who can lead, manage and inspire teams both locally and remotely in today’s increasingly virtual world
- An organized individual who is very detail oriented and can develop plans necessary for teams to meet specific goals
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situations and obtain buy-in from those affected
- An independent worker who can take the initiative to define and prioritize specific goals and objectives, and to do the same for others
- A team player that works hard, admits their strengths and weaknesses, and has the flexibility to improve by learning new things
- Inspirational and results-oriented leader, capable of earning the trust and respect of high performing engineering teams
- High integrity. Great judgement. Persistent. Winning Attitude.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or Engineering or process heavy engineering discipline, or equivalent
- 10+ years leadership experience in large scale commercial software development environments (ad tech preferred)
- Expert in software development lifecycle (Agile methodologies preferred), key SDLC productivity and quality metrics, and how to drive the process and tooling roadmap concurrent with the feature roadmap
- Demonstrated history as an advocate and coach for robust SDLC best practices and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated history of developing SDLC process standards and metrics, and robust tooling and frameworks to support same
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize the work effort across geographically distributed teams and ensure that tasks are completed on schedule with quality
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.