Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
We are looking for Full Stack Staff Software Engineers to join our team working on tools that will increase efficiency for our publishers. You’ll have the opportunity to work on our core exchange and contribute to open source projects used across the ad tech industry. The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced developer who is eager to demonstrate their leadership and technical acumen by offering guidance, mentorship and direction to our teams.
A Staff Software Engineer at Index
- Takes ownership of their work, works with peers in their division to avoid silos and leads by example
- Embodies cross team collaboration and extensively working with other teams across Index to achieve the team’s goals
- Contributes to standards, adheres to laid out processes and strives towards continuous improvement of engineering as a whole
- Easily applies technology principles and design techniques based on experience contributing towards complex system design considering due system constraints
- Participates in review of designs/code of other engineers and provide suggestions for improvements
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience and Leadership: An engineering leader with exposure to working and leading in a globally distributed, culturally diverse team. A leader who knows how to work with a team of developers, helps mentor and guide them as well as leverage your experience to make sound decisions
- Problem Solvers: You don’t stop until the problem gets solved and you find more than one way to solve it. You love working with other people, presenting your viewpoint but ultimately working towards the best solution, regardless of where it comes from
- Knowledge Hungry: Learning new frameworks and languages is exciting to you – you’re not satisfied with the status quo. We use a variety of languages and tools to solve problems and we're interested in what you're looking to learn
Here's What You Need:
- Master’s Degree(preferably) in Computer Science Engineering (or related field)
- 12+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in enterprise grade, large scale distributed software product development
- Demonstrable expertise in API design/development, design patterns and web-based development
- Experience in one or many of the following
- Languages: Golang (Our choice), Java, C++ & Rust
- Tools and Technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Aerospike
- Methodologies: SOLID principles, TDD
- Contributing to Open Source Projects
- Experience working with Linux environments, resilient and scalable platforms is an asset
- Experience leading in designing, writing and testing high quality back-end server-side code in a large and scalable deployment environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation and practicality are important qualities
- A desire to work with and learn from the people around you – we greatly value people and interactions
- You are talented, fast learner, embrace and lead change
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.