We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Staff Data Engineer - Data Platform
Data is a big deal at Index Exchange (Index). Index’s advertising exchange handles billions of auctions and generates terabytes of auction-related information every day. Our team builds tools and infrastructure to manage this vast amount of data and make it available to both internal and external customers and partners for their reporting and analytics as well as machine model training needs. We’re looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our team, and help build the next generation of big data solutions at Index Exchange with real-time streaming and batch analytical capabilities.
Working with exciting technologies, your team will experiment with new tools and engineer innovative approaches to solve interesting challenges. Things shift very quickly in our industry, and we rely on our Engineering teams to keep Index and our clients ahead of the curve and moving in the right direction. We’re looking for Engineers who have experience in an Agile environment, who can drive innovation, and be a technical leader on our team.
We are a global technology company that connects the largest publishers and marketers across the globe through programmatic advertising. We ensure publishers are able to secure their bottom line so they can provide content to consumers and bring news and information to society at large. Our mission is to democratize digital advertising, all while helping marketers reach the audiences that matter most to them across digital channels. For over 20 years, Index has been known as the change agents of digital advertising – innovators who help shape how our industry reacts to new challenges and shifts in the market. As a result, we’ve been able to partner with some of the most prominent players in the media industry including Hearst, Disney, and Meredith Corporation among many others.
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience and Leadership: An engineering leader with exposure to working and leading in a globally distributed, culturally diverse team. A leader who knows how to work with a team of developers, helps mentor and guide them as well as leverage your experience to make sound decisions
- Problem Solvers: You don’t stop until the problem gets solved and you find more than one way to solve it. You love working with other people, presenting your viewpoint but ultimately working towards the best solution, regardless of where it comes from
- Knowledge Hungry: Learning new frameworks and languages is exciting to you – you’re not satisfied with the status quo. We use a variety of languages and tools to solve problems and we're interested in what you're looking to learn
- Passionate: You have a passion for Big Data and an interest in the latest trends and developments constantly researching new tools and data technologies
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Evaluate new technologies, design, implement, and maintain data pipelines for extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources to various data services
- Identify, design, and implement system performance improvements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements
- Automate manual processes and optimize data delivery
- Lead and mentor team members
- Identify and assess potential solutions for technical and business suitability
Here's What You Need:
You may or may not tick off every box, and that’s ok. Each person brings a different background and different skills. If you think you are a good match for what we are looking for, tell us why, and tell us what you are doing to improve yourself and we’ll see what we can do to help!
- Master’s Degree(preferably) in Computer Science Engineering (or related field)
- 12+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in enterprise grade, large scale distributed software product development
- 5+ years of work experience designing and building high performance data pipelines and applications using Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Presto, Kafka and Flink streaming, Druid, or other similar technologies
- Proficiency in some of the following languages: SQL, Scala, Java, Python, Bash
- Deep understanding of design principles of distributed systems and familiar with mainstream big data related technologies and distributed frameworks
- Leadership, mentorship, collaboration, and communication skills
- Exposure to working and leading in a globally distributed, culturally diverse team
- Knowledge of data modeling, data warehousing, ETL processes, and business intelligence reporting tools
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL systems
- Experience with automated testing systems
- Experience working in Agile methodologies with continuous integration and delivery as CI/CD
- Experience working on and building distributed data pipelines that ingest and process large scale of data and optimizations.
- Experience working with containerization, and virtualization tools such as Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
- Experience with scheduling tools such as airflow, oozie
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Company paid comprehensive health and life insurance plans
- Paid Time off and flexible work schedules
- Company contribution to Provident Fund
- Participation in our company Stock options plan
- Company paid Parental Leave
- Monthly internet stipend
- One Time Office Set up Allowance
- Quarterly Wellness allowance
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Volunteer paid day off
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.