We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 350 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 550 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
About The Role:
We’re looking for a Vice President, Platform Engineering who can bring their depth and breadth of experience in ad tech to help us continue to scale while maintaining high standards for efficiency, integrity, and technical excellence.
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7 in our global data centers, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, global efficiency and reliability are absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
What We’re Looking For:
A pragmatic and strategic ad tech technology executive:
- Learn and understand the business vision and market opportunity for the company
- Ensure the realization of product and technology roadmaps through excellence in execution, with a robust platform that drives efficiency of scale as we grow and diversify our offerings
- Develop and champion the near-term targets against long term strategy for how developers build applications.
- Partner with technology leadership team to develop strategic technology roadmap, and with product and commercial teams to enable long term product roadmaps
- Be an expert and trusted technologist and advocate in driving the evolution of ad tech and the open internet
A builder, Enabler, and Amplifier of World Class Engineering Teams:
- Build, manage, and lead our platform engineering teams, leading the definition, design, and development of all technology platform modules that enable all Index services and solutions
- As a key member of our technology leadership team, organize and drive integrated release planning and coordination and design across platform, software, analytics, and infrastructure teams
- Ensure and drive alignment across all of our development scrum teams to platform architectural standards and core platform capabilities/designs
- Design and build quality, performance, and reliability in from day one, and inspire other team members to do the same
- Diagnose, characterize, and address performance and stability issues
- Prototype and champion new technology introductions to our platform
- Effectively represent our technology capabilities and strategies to diverse internal teams, as well as to external partners and customers
- Track record of building and inspiring high performing technology teams, and developing high potential talent into world class technology leaders
- A respected technical role model and mentor for engineering teams, leading, motivating, and challenging a diverse globally distributed technology team
Growth Focused Technical Leadership:
- Develop technology strategy and drive delivery as a core member of a technology leadership team
- Build and maintain the technology roadmap in close collaboration with Chief Architect and CTO, and other technology leaders
- Champion for quality and data driven decisions, development, and delivery
- Pragmatic technology leadership, able to balance long-term R&D investments with near-term execution and business impact
- Communicate design and decisions and influence technology and product direction of peers and executive leadership
- Make and meet commitments, communicating changes in plans whether they be design or timeline modifications honestly and transparently
Leadership Role Model and Exemplar:
- Excellent communication skills, which include active listening and the ability to present complex ideas in concise written and verbal descriptions which are easily understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong people skills - able to communicate with colleagues while simultaneously building credibility and rapport. Also, able to modify one's behavioral style to respond to the needs of others while maintaining own objectives
- A technologist’s technologist - able to lead high performance technology teams by example
- A strong leader who can lead, manage and inspire teams both locally and remotely in today’s increasingly virtual world
- An organized individual who is very detail oriented and can develop plans necessary for teams to meet specific goals
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situations and obtain buy-in from those affected
- An independent worker who can take the initiative to define and prioritize specific goals and objectives, and to do the same for others
- A team player that works hard, admits their strengths and weaknesses, and has the flexibility to improve by learning new things
- Inspirational and results-oriented leader, capable of earning the trust and respect of high performing engineering teams
- High integrity. Great judgement. Persistent. Winning Attitude.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 10+ years experience in large scale commercial software development environments, with a demonstrated background of delivering high impact/high scale ad tech solutions
- 6+ years of significant technology leadership experience with high volume low latency distributed platforms (experience with globally-distributed industry-scale platforms preferred)
- Expert in software development lifecycle (Agile methodologies preferred), and how to drive the technology roadmap concurrent with the feature roadmap
- Demonstrated history as an advocate and coach for test driven development and frequent delivery
- Expert in large-scale system profiling, concurrency, and memory management, and designing and building distributed systems
- Demonstrated ability developing, advancing, and evolving a robust technology roadmap
- Demonstrated history of developing platforms and frameworks that are effectively leveraged by other developers
- Expert in large scale distributed stores and streaming pipelines (Kafka, Flink, Spark, Hadoop, Parquet, Elasticsearch, etc) in large-scale high-throughput environments
- Expert at profiling and optimizing high-volume transaction flows using advanced analytics and machine learning
- Expert in leveraging continuous integration and robust build/test automation, with a preference for cross-platform stacks and containerization (Git, Sonar, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize the work effort across geographically distributed teams and ensure that tasks are completed on schedule with quality
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead globally distributed high performance teams, driving greenfield development in fast moving industries
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and grow high performing technical talent at all levels
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- One day off per year to volunteer
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Index Exchange is aware that there have been recent scams directed toward candidates regarding job interviews and offers.
Please be vigilant and do not accept interview requests, job offers, or other hiring-related documents from anyone other than our dedicated recruitment team, from the domain of @indexexchange.com. Our interview process consists of several steps, including phone screens and video interviews. We do not conduct interviews via an email questionnaire or request money at any point in the process.
If you do receive these requests, please let us know immediately at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We remain dedicated to resolving this matter and we appreciate your support.
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be.