Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
The Engineering Lead Manager role within Services is a critical role with sole ownership over the success of their team and their projects. They are trusted with the leadership and development of our Level 2 Support and 24/7 NOC teams made up of engineers who support and monitor our entire exchange. Requests/issues flow into a Kanban board that the team works off of. These requests come from internal users or automated system alerts. Collaboration and communication skills are key as you work with the team to identify, resolve and escalate problems while working with other groups such as Account Managers, Technical Solutions, Finance/Accounting, Engineering, and other stakeholders.
What We’re Looking For:
- Technical Leadership: You have gained experience and skills that enable you to chart a technical path for products, systems, and architectures. You are happy to be hands-on in the code, but your biggest impact is leading from the front and guiding others. Your role is to represent the technical health and future of the products you support and applying industry best practices towards designs and implementations.
- People Leadership: You know how to work with and lead a team of software engineers. You have demonstrated mentorship skills and set a technical vision to challenge your team in a way that empowers them to have incredible impact. You empower teams, who in turn build intricate systems that deliver great outcomes.
- Driver of Outcomes: You are intentional in your path, establishing a vision or hypothesis, setting a direction, and guiding your team through execution. You use data to inform pivots or to validate assumptions, and partner with the Product team to set a roadmap, establish goals and forecasts to achieve both technical and business outcomes.
- Organizational Coordinator: You are the first point of contact for your team and your services. You foster a collaborative approach to delivery and leverage those relationships to unblock dependencies. You are a strong communicator and collaborator, responsive when issues arise, and celebrate successes by representing your team's achievements to the rest of the organization.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- Demonstrated leadership and management of 5-15 person teams
- A passion for cutting edge technologies, leading teams, and nurturing talent development among your team(s)
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation and practicality are important qualities
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with people with different technical backgrounds
- Experience working with Linux
- Experience with Go or related backend language (Java, C++, C#, python ..etc.)
- Experience with MySQL, MariaDB, and Kafka or other database or data streaming technologies
- Experience with front-end technologies
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- One day off per year to volunteer
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.