We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 350 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 550 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
About The Role:
The Staff Application Services Administrator manages the Atlassian suite by building and driving efficient processes, the adaptation of the tools, integration and documentation. The Staff Application Services Administrator works closely with internal customers and leads projects and processes that enable various tools integration to meet internal needs as well as ensure ongoing support.
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7 in our global data centers, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, global efficiency and reliability are absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
Taking ownership of the Atlassian suite administration
- Drive the monitoring of our company's Atlassian suite infrastructure using internal monitoring tools.
- Identify and resolve issues proactively.
- Lead the debugging efforts and escalate issues to appropriate teams internally / externally for further investigation and drive resolution.
- Investigate new design techniques and new technologies regularly, and appropriately apply industry technical advances from a high-level perspective. Apply forward-looking design using in-depth knowledge of system design issues and constraints.
- Forecast design issues and challenges we may meet months into the future.
- Visualize the impact that the suggested changes will have in the long term, from both a technical and business perspective.
- Assess and challenge high-level business solutions at a business and technical level.
- Predict large projects or program schedules using Agile principles (velocity/throughput).
- Ensure that schedules and business commitments are met, and able to help others achieve their objectives.
- Actively review, suggest and refine plans to meet intended outcomes.
- Work closely with managers and agile coaches as part of a broader planning and execution feedback loop.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify areas that can be trimmed, and articulate areas that must not be compromised in order to meet deadlines.
- Recommend alternatives to the plan where needed in order to help meet the business goals.
- Configure and maintain integrations related to Atlassian suite products (e.g. between Jira and Confluence) with other tools and technologies.
- Understand Atlassian suite limitations and extend functionality by available tools /plugins whenever required.
- Lead periodical review of automation & integration in order to meet compliance and follow industry best practice.
- Drive Planning, coordination and communication upgrade and migrations of internal tools.
Delivering through Collaboration
- Responsible for delivering team goals, and against team performance metrics.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture that promotes teamwork, innovation, and excellence.
- Enable and model exceptional customer service and support to Atlassian suite users and internal clients.
- In coordination with other teams and external vendors, lead building of processes to address incident resolution, minimize downtime, and ensure service level agreements (SLAs) are met.
- Through effective processes, drive troubleshooting and resolution of technical issues related to Jira and Confluence.
- Own, build and manage backup processes and disaster recovery plan of Atlassian tools.
- Implement automation opportunities to improve efficiencies.
- Understand organizational processes & translate them to optimal workflows.
Documentation and Reporting
- Develop and maintain comprehensive documentation, including run books and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Training and Development
- Stay up-to-date with new Atlassian products and releases, and evaluate their potential impact on existing systems and processes.
- Share knowledge within the team and coach/mentor team members.
- Build and maintain training documentation and user guides.
Reporting and Analytics
- Perform periodic reviews of the system environments for configurations, permissions, workflows, integrations, and logs.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field.
- 8+ years of experience in previous roles with managing Atlassian suites.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Technical: A strong foundation as an administrator (including user management, permission schemes, workflows, custom fields, and configurations) for Atlassian suite of products (including JSM, Confluence, Jira) and associated plugins.
- Experience in one of the advanced scripting languages such as Python, Java, or Groovy.
- Strong knowledge of Jira and Confluence APIs and integration with other tools.
- Set up high availability infrastructure for Atlassian Data Center decisions such as Jira, Confluence etc.
- Setup backup, restore & disaster recovery for Atlassian tools.
- Facilitator: relay information and ideas effectively both within and across different teams. While we place a huge premium on technical skill, we value just as much ability to work with other people. The Staff Application Services Administrator will deliver this through strong communication and interpersonal skills, and exceptional customer service skills.
- Adaptable: Our industry moves fast, and we need the Staff Application Services Administrator to keep up and adapt. We value the ability to prioritize tasks, often against competing scope and timelines while focus on details as well.
- Problem-solving: exercise judgement while working on significant issues where analysis of data requires an evaluation of intangibles and able to develop repeatable processes /guidelines.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Experience in automation using general purpose scripting languages such as powershell or bash is a plus.
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Company paid comprehensive health and life insurance plans
- Paid Time off and flexible work schedules
- Company contribution to Provident Fund
- Participation in our company Stock options plan
- Company paid Parental Leave
- Monthly internet stipend
- Quarterly Wellness allowance
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Volunteer paid day off
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Index Exchange is aware that there have been recent scams directed toward candidates regarding job interviews and offers.
Please be vigilant and do not accept interview requests, job offers, or other hiring-related documents from anyone other than our dedicated recruitment team, from the domain of @indexexchange.com. Our interview process consists of several steps, including phone screens and video interviews. We do not conduct interviews via an email questionnaire or request money at any point in the process.
If you do receive these requests, please let us know immediately at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We remain dedicated to resolving this matter and we appreciate your support.
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.