Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
We’re looking for an Engineering Director, Quality & Delivery, to establish our Quality & Delivery team in our engineering CoE and to help drive the global expansion of our technology teams as we continue to scale, while maintaining high standards for efficiency, integrity, and technical excellence.
What We’re Looking For:
A builder, enabler, and amplifier of world class engineering teams:
- Establish a core technology presence in country, and build, manage, and lead our India-based Test Engineering team in a globally matrixed structure, seamlessly integrating talent and processes with all Index technology teams
- As a key member of our technology leadership team, organize and drive integrated release planning and coordination and design across platform, software, analytics, and infrastructure teams
- Drive alignment across all development scrum teams to global platform architectural standards and core platform capabilities/designs
- Design and build quality, performance, and reliability in from day one, and inspire other team members to do the same
- Track record of building and inspiring high performing technology teams, and developing high potential talent into world class technology leaders
- A respected technical role model and mentor for engineering teams, leading, motivating, and challenging a diverse globally distributed technology team
- A strong and respected in country technology and culture leader, able to recruit, inspire, develop, and motivate world-class technology talent as core members of one global Index Exchange team
- Strong track record of helping high growth organizations work effectively with globally distributed teams
Growth focused technical leadership:
- Champion for quality and data driven decisions, development, and delivery
- Pragmatic technology leadership, able to balance long-term R&D investments with near-term execution and business impact
- Communicate design and decisions and influence technology and product direction of peers and executive leadership
- Make and meet commitments, communicating changes in plans whether they be design or timeline modifications honestly and transparently
Leadership role model and exemplar:
- Excellent communication skills, which include active listening and the ability to present complex ideas in concise written and verbal descriptions which are easily understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong people skills - able to communicate with colleagues while simultaneously building credibility and rapport. Also, able to modify one's behavioral style to respond to the needs of others while maintaining own objectives
- A culture and value exemplar, setting the highest standard for Index values in region
- A strong leader who can lead, manage and inspire teams both locally and remotely in today’s increasingly virtual world
- An organized individual who is very detail oriented and can develop plans necessary for teams to meet specific goals
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situations and obtain buy-in from those affected
- An independent worker who can take the initiative to define and prioritize specific goals and objectives, and to do the same for others
- A team player that works hard, admits their strengths and weaknesses, and has the flexibility to improve by learning new things
- Inspirational and results-oriented leader, capable of earning the trust and respect of high performing engineering teams
- High integrity. Great judgment. Persistent. Winning Attitude.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Test Architecture - Drive the architecture evolution of our software/data test automation framework and related capabilities
- Test tools, automation frameworks and test cases - Own the definition, design, dev, docs, and maintenance
- Team with Product Management, SW Engineering, DevOps, and other technical teams in planning and coordination of test automation initiatives
- Interpret functional requirements and designs to plan, develop, write, execute, and automate functional and data validation test plans
- Work with engineering and infrastructure teams on strategy and maintenance for required TDD/CI/CD development and test environments
- Key stakeholder in the design process to help us build a testable platform, applications, and data models
- Design and build quality, performance, and reliability in from day one; evangelize and inspire other team members to do the same
- Document and socialize module and automation framework functions, interfaces, performance criteria, test cases, and results to diverse audiences
- Lead defect management activities to include problem identification, issue research, analysis, and documentation
- Work closely with the development teams, establish processes for test reviews, issue diagnosis, resolution and closure
- Establish a framework for analyzing test data health and consistency to improve test outcomes
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 12+ years of experience in large scale commercial software development environments (ad tech or large scale cloud-native platforms preferred)
- Extensive formal and organized quality assurance testing and automation experience in commercial software environment
- 5+ years of significant technology leadership experience establishing and software test teams, fully and seamlessly integrated into a global technology organization (strong preference for a leader with a track record of successfully establishing and growing in-region CoE test teams)
- Experience designing and building simulation software to validate functionality and performance of end-to-end software solutions
- Expert in software development lifecycle (Agile methodologies preferred), and how to drive the technology roadmap concurrent with the feature roadmap
- Demonstrated history as an advocate and coach for test driven development and frequent delivery
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize the work effort across geographically distributed teams and ensure that tasks are completed on schedule with quality
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, inspire, and grow high performing technical talent at all levels
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.