We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 350 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 550 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
We’re looking for a Senior Observability Platform Engineer to build and run high scale, distributed and exceptionally reliable systems. We are looking for an engineer who can work seamlessly across our Engineering teams to bring complex and challenging projects to fruition. You will help us continue to refine and mature our Ops tool set and DevOps approach. You will be working in our Technical Operations division to build our capabilities in key areas such as storage, server provisioning, CI/CD, observability, and container orchestration.
We take pride in owning and operating our own data centers worldwide, ensuring minimal latency and maximum efficiency for our customers. Hear from Sahil Yusuf, our director of cloud platform, about our globally distributed data centers and how our technology teams maximize scale and speed while handling over 400 billion requests daily: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO59Egsg-oc
What We’re Looking For:
- Facilitator: It’s essential that you can relay information and ideas effectively both within and across different teams. While we place a huge premium on technical skill, we value just as much your ability to work with other people.
- Adaptable: Our industry moves fast, and we need you to keep up and adapt. Acting as a Senior Observability Platform Engineer you have the ability to prioritize tasks, often against competing scope and timelines.
- Technical: A strong foundation in Operations, and experience in solving complex problems and building solutions (including CI/CD, real-time monitoring, production issues, etc.).
- Rigorous: We design and manage massive, globally distributed systems that handle billions of transactions a day
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Utilize your understanding of DevOps methodologies and design patterns to positively impact the development, deployment, and introspection processes
- Build and operate a highly scalable, performant and resilient systems that operate on a global scale
- Design, build, and maintain observability platforms using industry standard tools, such as Prometheus, Elasticsearch, Jaeger and Grafana
- Work with different technologies such as Ceph, Aerospike, PostgreSQL, Kafka, etc., to enhance and optimize existing systems
- Devise self-sufficient ways for engineering teams to leverage DevOps tools as part of the SDLC
- Identifying opportunities to improve efficiency of our CI/CD pipelines and optimize productivity
- Develop automation to handle logging, monitoring and maintenance of our global infrastructure and achieve operational excellence
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement to close gaps in production introspection
- Seize upon your experience and knowledge to help guide and mentor colleagues
- Write code in Go, Python, and Bash to create automation tools
- Build on your basic Ops tool kit including tech like Ansible, GitLab CI, Vagrant, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Troubleshoot and fix problems with build and deployment automation
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience as an engineer for an internet based company
- Experience with building, maintaining, and troubleshooting open-source TSDB solutions such as InfluxDB, Thanos, Cortex/Mimir, Prometheus in a highly automated environment and at scale
- Experience with observability technologies like Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, Jaeger
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience developing operational KPIs and SLOs, aligned with business goals and engineering requirements
- Understanding of CI/CD and associated tools with development experience
- Experience with container / workload orchestration, private cloud environments
- Working knowledge of Golang, Python or Bash
- Experience with IaC and configuration management tools such as Salt, Ansible, Puppet or Terraform
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes design, implementation, and operations
- Experience performing full stack load testing to identify and address hardware, network, system, or application bottlenecks
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving attitude
- Collaborative team spirit
Our Workplace Model:
- This role is hybrid and will report to our Toronto office three days a week
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- One day off per year to volunteer
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Index Exchange is aware that there have been recent scams directed toward candidates regarding job interviews and offers.
Please be vigilant and do not accept interview requests, job offers, or other hiring-related documents from anyone other than our dedicated recruitment team, from the domain of @indexexchange.com. Our interview process consists of several steps, including phone screens and video interviews. We do not conduct interviews via an email questionnaire or request money at any point in the process.
If you do receive these requests, please let us know immediately at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be.