Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
This is a great opportunity for a Staff Software Engineer to help a successful ad tech company deliver innovative solutions at scale. The ability to influence core architectures are huge and there are significant untapped business opportunities in our world-class platform. We are looking for a candidate with a track record of building large-scale end to end solutions.
Here's What We're Looking For:
- Be a capable leader in demonstrating the Index values and sets an example for others in their teams and across the division.
- Embrace it: Lead it: A Staff SE not only plans for change but looks for opportunities where change would bring long term benefits, even at short term cost. They raise issues, lead solutions and work with others to mitigate the impact. They should work with their team and overall unit to reinforce a need to remain agile and plan for change.
- Support Each Other. It Matters: A Staff SE is regularly depended on by many people. They actively work to support their team and overall unit for coverage and expertise. They are relied upon by leaders and Product for guidance. They work to set a team culture where supporting each other truly matters.
- Learn it. Teach it: They are an expert in various areas, and in some cases have a bigger impact by empowering others. They work to identify gaps in knowledge and training and bridge that gap by running KTs, presenting at Agoras and Town Halls, and setting an example for others to follow.
- Build Real Trust. It Doesn't Just Happen: A Staff SE has built great knowledge of our systems and technologies and uses that knowledge to provide guidance. They take great care to ensure their information is accurate. They use this combined with experience to provide forecasts and commitments on large projects and work to deliver on them, raising issues as they surface.
- Be Intentional. Launching is Fun. It’s the Landing that counts: A Staff SE is a senior contributor to the team and takes ownership of large projects and components. They work with Product and leaders to set goals and follow through with data to validate outcomes. They work towards completion, ensuring serviceability, telemetry and high quality are part of their definitions of done.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Design, develop and implementation of complex large-scale systems in an event-driven architecture
- Design and implementation of robust data obstruction APIs
- Design efficient stream processing and aggregate data ingestion solution on a large scale
- Modernize existing legacy systems by breaking the status quo and implementing new design patterns
- Design and implement efficient and reliable monitoring solutions at scale
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- Demonstrated leadership and expertise in solving complex business problems
- A passion for cutting edge technologies, leading teams, and nurturing talent development among your team(s)
- Experience with Go, C++, Java or other high performing backend technologies
- Experience with MySQL, MariaDB, Aerospike, Kafka or other database or data streaming technologies
- Experience with front-end technologies and testing practices
- Experience with building scaled and low latency services
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.