Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
The work we do requires complex problem solving, the ability to write high quality code in a very large and scalable deployment environment, an understanding of Agile software development, Continuous Integration, well-developed communication skills and the ability to collaborate with a diverse group of people. We’re looking for the right combination of personality and ingenuity to push our product to the max, inspire those around you and have fun doing it.
The Technical Engineering Manager is a critical role with sole ownership over the success of their team and their projects. They are trusted with the leadership and development of a group of software engineers driving towards the outcomes of their projects.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Technical Leadership: You have gained experience and skills that enable you to chart a technical path for products, systems, and architectures. You are happy to be hands-on in the code, but your biggest impact is leading from the front and guiding others. Your role is to represent the technical health and future of the products you support and applying industry best practices towards designs and implementations.
- People Leadership: You know how to work with and lead a team of software engineers. You have demonstrated mentorship skills and set a technical vision to challenge your team in a way that empowers them to have incredible impact. You empower teams, who in turn build intricate systems that deliver great outcomes.
- Driver of Outcomes: You are intentional in your path, establishing a vision or hypothesis, setting a direction, and guiding your team through execution. You use data to inform pivots or to validate assumptions, and partner with the Product team to set a roadmap, establish goals and forecasts to achieve both technical and business outcomes.
- End-to-End Owner: You take great pride in the products your team owns and delivers, and take full responsibility for their quality, health, and outcomes. You lead your team in ensuring services remain healthy and that technical debt is regularly paid down. When issues arise, you lead your team in responding, mitigating, and addressing the issues to learn from them for the future.
- Organizational Coordinator: You are the first point of contact for your team, your products, and your delivery plan. You foster a collaborative approach to delivery and leverage those relationships to unblock dependencies. You are a strong communicator and collaborator, responsive when issues arise, and celebrate successes by representing your team's achievements to the rest of the organization.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- Demonstrated leadership and management of 5-10 person teams
- A passion for cutting edge technologies, leading teams, and nurturing talent among your team
- Knowledge of contemporary development and testing practices, DevOps practices, Agile methodologies and technologies is key
- Extensive experience in building, maintaining, and supporting scalable distributed systems
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.