About Index Exchange: Index is a global advertising technology company helping media owners monetize their digital content through advertising so that consumers can continue enjoying free and open access to content online.
We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
The work we do requires complex problem solving, the ability to write high quality code in a very large and scalable deployment environment, an understanding of Agile software development, Continuous Integration, well-developed communication skills and the ability to collaborate with a diverse group of people. We’re looking for the right combination of personality and ingenuity to push our product to the max, inspire those around you and have fun doing it
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
We’re looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to support our storage team in the Cloud Platform division.
Reporting to the Operations Engineering Manager, we are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to join Index Exchange and help us continue to refine and mature our Ops tool set and DevOps approach. You will be working in our Operations team to build tools in key areas such as server provisioning, continuous integration and deployment, monitoring, alerting, and container orchestration.
The ideal candidate will have strong experience in storage systems and disaster recovery. You will coordinate with Engineers to provide solutions. We’ve gathered exceptional talent on this team and your ability to offer both guidance and technical expertise to enable the development of fellow team members is a huge plus.
What We’re Looking For:
- Facilitator: It’s essential that you can relay information and ideas effectively both within and across different teams. While we place a huge premium on technical skill, we value just as much your ability to work with other people
- Adaptable: Our industry moves fast and we need you to keep up and adapt. Acting as a DevOps Engineer, you have the ability to prioritize tasks, often against competing scope and timelines
- Technical: A strong foundation in Operations, and experience in solving complex problems and building solutions (including CI/CD, real-time monitoring, production issues, etc.)
- Rigorous: We design and manage massive, globally distributed systems that handle billions of transactions a day - your approach and solutions need to be thorough, scalable and ironclad.
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
- Design and build out a highly scalable, performant and resilient storage layer as part of the storage team
- Develop automation to handle logging, monitoring and maintenance of the storage layer
- Work with different technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Aerospike, Kafka etc to enhance and optimize existing systems
Here's What You Need:
- Experience with designing, building, maintaining and troubleshooting open-source distributed storage solutions such as Ceph, Mino, Gluster in a highly automated environment and at scale
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Salt, Ansible, Puppet or Terraform
- Experience with storage orchestration technologies / storage systems like Rook, OpenEBS, Longhorn, STORK
- Experience with storage level replication technologies
- Strong experience with capacity planning, disaster recovery and monitoring
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.