We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles over 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
About The Role:
We are looking for Full Stack Senior Software Engineers to join our team working on tools that will increase efficiency for our publishers. You’ll have the opportunity to work on our core exchange and contribute to open source projects used across the ad tech industry. The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced developer who is eager to demonstrate their leadership and technical acumen by offering guidance, mentorship and direction to our teams.
What We’re Looking For:
- Self-starter: You are quick learner and comfortable helping your team get things done
- Leadership: You collaborate well with team members. You can help mentor and guide the team on design, and implementation of our solutions.
- Problem Solvers: You are curious and love exploring multiple approaches to find the most efficient, scalable solution and solve a problem
- Knowledge Hungry: Learning new frameworks and languages is exciting to you – you’re not satisfied with the status quo. We use a variety of languages and tools to solve problems and we're interested in what you're looking to learn
Here’s What You’ll be Doing:
A Senior Software Engineer at Index
- Takes ownership of their work, works with peers in their division to avoid silos and leads by example
- Embodies cross team collaboration and extensively working with other teams across Index to achieve the team’s goals
- Contributes to standards, adheres to laid out processes and strives towards continuous improvement of engineering as a whole
- Easily applies technology principles and design techniques based on experience contributing towards complex system design considering due system constraints
- Participates in review of designs/code of other engineers and provide suggestions for improvements
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor/Master degree in Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering or related field
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in enterprise grade, large scale distributed software product development
- Demonstrable expertise in API design/development, design patterns and web-based development
- Experience in one or many of the following
- Languages: Golang (Our choice), Java, C++, C# & Rust
- Tools and Technologies: Docker, Kubernetes, Cypress
- Methodologies: SOLID principles, TDD
- Experience working with Linux environments, resilient and scalable platforms is an asset
- Experience in designing, developing and testing high quality APIs and Web applications in a large and scalable microservice based deployment environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills, the ability to think differently, and an understanding that compromise, negotiation and practicality are important qualities
- A desire to work with and learn from the people around you – we greatly value people and interactions
- You are talented, fast learner, embrace and lead change
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Company paid comprehensive health and life insurance plans
- Paid Time off and flexible work schedules
- Company contribution to Provident Fund
- Participation in our company Stock options plan
- Company paid Parental Leave
- Monthly internet stipend
- One Time Office Set up Allowance
- Quarterly Wellness allowance
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Volunteer paid day off
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
- A workplace that supports a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment – learn more here
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.