We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can be solved at scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference. Our exchange handles more than 220 billion requests every day (which is even more than the New York Stock Exchange), and every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports that level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
What’s it like to work at Index?
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
The Engineering Lead Manager is a critical role within the MLO Engineering organization with the mandate of building, growing, and supporting brining a massive scale ad exchange to its new generation of optimised machine based decision making. Supporting billions of data points and hundreds of billions of auctions per day, this team drives work towards the next step in evolution of the exchange, producing production grade optimisation solutions.
Here’s What We're Looking For:
- Technical Leader: You have gained experience and skills that enable you to chart a technical path for products, systems, and architectures. You are happy to be hands-on in the code, but your biggest impact is leading from the front, guiding and challenging others. Your role is to represent both the technical aspect and the high level product requirements. Supporting the team and applying industry best practices towards designs and implementations. Holding a high level overview of business goals, and time and resource optimal paths to reach decision and value milestones.
- People Leader: You know how to work with and lead a team of software engineers. You have demonstrated mentorship skills and set a technical vision to challenge your team in a way that empowers them to have incredible impact. You empower teams, who in turn build intricate systems that deliver great outcomes.
- Quick Validator: You put quick assumption and idea validation as top priority. You use data tools, and common sense to challenge your own and the team’s direction. You act as a catalyst of these approaches within your team and across the MLO organisation.
- Driver of Outcomes: You are intentional in your path, establishing a vision or hypothesis, setting a direction, and guiding your team through execution. You partner with other MLO leaders and the Product team to set a roadmap, establish goals and forecasts to achieve both technical and business outcomes.
- End-to-End Owner: You take great pride in the products your team owns and delivers, and take full responsibility for their quality, health, and outcomes. You lead your team in ensuring services remain healthy and that technical debt is regularly paid down. When issues arise, you lead your team in responding, mitigating, and addressing the issues to learn from them for the future.
- Organizational Coordinator: You are the first point of contact for your team, your products, and your delivery plan. You foster a collaborative approach to delivery and leverage those relationships to unblock dependencies. You are a strong communicator and collaborator, responsive when issues arise, and celebrate successes by representing your team’s achievements to the rest of the organization.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or equivalent
- Demonstrated leadership and management of 5-15 person teams
- A passion for cutting edge technologies, leading teams, and nurturing talent development among your team(s)
- Experience in addressing optimisation problems in production enviorments
- Experience with Python and specific ML, data science or optimisation libraries
- Experience with MySQL, MariaDB, Aerospike, Kafka or other database or data streaming technologies
- Experience with building scaled and low latency services is a plus
- Experience with Angular or other front-end frameworks is a plus
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual virtual company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines, but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.