We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles more than 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day). Every member of our engineering team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building code that supports our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
We’re looking for a Head of Engineering for Index Exchange Bangalore, to establish a new technology center of excellence for the company, and help drive our global expansion of our technology teams as we continue to scale, while maintaining high standards for efficiency, integrity, and technical excellence.
What We’re Looking For:
A pragmatic and strategic technology executive:
- Learn and understand the business vision and market opportunity for the company
- Ensure the realization of product and technology roadmaps through excellence in execution
- Develop and champion the near-term targets against long term strategy for how developers build applications.
- Partner with technology leadership team to develop strategic technology roadmap, and with product and commercial teams to enable long term product roadmaps
- Function as site leader and general manager, matrixed into multiple global functional teams
A builder, enabler, and amplifier of world class engineering teams:
- Establish a core technology presence in country, and build, manage, and lead our India-based engineering teams in a globally matrixed structure, seamlessly integrating talent and processes with all Index technology teams
- As a key member of our technology leadership team, organize and drive integrated release planning and coordination and design across platform, software, analytics, and infrastructure teams
- Ensure and drive alignment across all of our development scrum teams to global platform architectural standards and core platform capabilities/designs
- Design and build quality, performance, and reliability in from day one, and inspire other team members to do the same
- Prototype and champion new technology introductions to our platform
- Effectively represent our technology capabilities and strategies to diverse internal teams, as well as to external partners and customers and technology groups
- Track record of building and inspiring high performing technology teams, and developing high potential talent into world class technology leaders
- A respected technical role model and mentor for engineering teams, leading, motivating, and challenging a diverse globally distributed technology team
- A strong and respected in country technology and culture leader, able to recruit, inspire, develop, and motivate world-class technology talent as core members of one global Index Exchange team
- Strong track record of helping high growth organizations work effectively with globally distributed teams
Growth focused technical leadership:
- Develop technology strategy, global technology SDLC and talent processes, and drive delivery as a core member of a technology leadership team
- Build and maintain delivery plans in close collaboration with CTO and other technology leaders
- Champion for quality and data driven decisions, development, and delivery
- Pragmatic technology leadership, able to balance long-term R&D investments with near-term execution and business impact
- Communicate design and decisions and influence technology and product direction of peers and executive leadership
- Make and meet commitments, communicating changes in plans whether they be design or timeline modifications honestly and transparently
Leadership role model and exemplar:
- Excellent communication skills, which include active listening and the ability to present complex ideas in concise written and verbal descriptions which are easily understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong people skills - able to communicate with colleagues while simultaneously building credibility and rapport. Also, able to modify one's behavioural style to respond to the needs of others while maintaining own objectives
- A culture and value exemplar, setting the highest standard for Index values in region
- A strong leader who can lead, manage and inspire teams both locally and remotely in today’s increasingly virtual world
- An organized individual who is very detail oriented and can develop plans necessary for teams to meet specific goals
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situations and obtain buy-in from those affected
- An independent worker who can take the initiative to define and prioritize specific goals and objectives, and to do the same for others
- A team player that works hard, admits their strengths and weaknesses, and has the flexibility to improve by learning new things
- Inspirational and results-oriented leader, capable of earning the trust and respect of high performing engineering teams
- High integrity. Great judgement. Persistent. Winning Attitude.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- 10+ years experience in large scale commercial software development environments (ad tech or large scale cloud-native platforms preferred)
- 6+ years of significant technology leadership experience establishing and leading in-region technology teams, fully and seamlessly integrated into a global technology organization (strong preference for a leader with a track record of successfully establishing and growing an in-region CoE)
- Expert in software development lifecycle (Agile methodologies preferred), and how to drive the technology roadmap concurrent with the feature roadmap
- Demonstrated history as an advocate and coach for test driven development and frequent delivery
- Expert in establishing robust talent acquisition and on-boarding processes for technology talent at all levels (including college recruiting)
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize the work effort across geographically distributed teams and ensure that tasks are completed on schedule with quality
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, inspire, and grow high performing technical talent at all levels
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual (temporarily virtual) company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, Boston, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team, and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All of our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.