We shaped the earliest forms of ad tech, and we’re looking for the technical expertise to help shape its future. Our customers have unique problems that can only be solved at internet scale, and that’s where the technical skills of our team make a real difference.
Our exchange handles more than 300 billion requests every day (for comparison Google serves an estimated 9 billion searches a day), all running in our own global data centers. Every member of our technology team has an enormous amount of autonomy in building and managing our systems to support and enable our growing level of scale. Through the transparency of our technology, dedication to innovation and integrity, and long-standing customer relationships, we lead through change.
What’s it like to work at Index?
We have more than 500 Indexers around the globe dedicated to building a safe and transparent marketplace that provides a trusted experience for consumers.
Index is an exciting and fast-paced place to work. We’re built on our values of change, support, learning and teaching, trust, and intention. We pride ourselves on our independence and openness, not only in our technology, but in our teams, too. Our diverse and inclusive culture celebrates how we can leverage our unique differences to help drive Index forward.
Our culture of success is truly supportive and collaborative. In working together across our teams, we’re continually investing in the people and technology to solve the industry’s most complex problems. As we extend the promise of ad tech to every channel, we’re looking for talented engineers to help advance Index, and the industry, forward.
Are you ready to join the programmatic evolution?
Index Exchange funds the open web. Content and journalism across the internet are funded through advertising, and we are the engine that helps to make that happen transparently, safely and efficiently. Handling hundreds of billions of auctions per day within milliseconds requires an intense understanding of the exchange and the ecosystem that we live in.
Our business is growing significantly every year and is poised to grow even faster. Our people and our platforms are the foundation and enabler of that growth. We are significantly expanding our technology teams, and are looking for technologists with a passion for high performance software development, and a drive to deliver software products and platforms that enable and empower industries at a global scale.
We’re looking for a VP Technology Operations who can bring their depth and breadth of experience to help us continue to scale our global data centers, while maintaining high standards for efficiency, reliability, quality, resiliency, security, and technical excellence. This position will be reporting into the Chief Technology Officer.
Index’s scale spans the globe, our transactions happen 24x7 in our global data centers, and every second that passes millions of requests are evaluated across our exchange. In order to achieve our mission, global efficiency and reliability are absolutely key, as every millisecond quite literally counts in our business.
What We’re Looking For:
A pragmatic and strategic technology executive:
- Learn and understand the business vision and market opportunity for the company
- A strong hands on technology leader to define and drive the overall operational efficiency and reliability strategy and roadmap for Index Exchange
- Ensures optimal operation of our global data centers and exchange as a mission-critical internet-scale service
- Develop and champion the near-term targets against long term strategy for continually improving operating margins, capacity management and yield, and quality, performance and stability, metrics and observability for all production systems and infrastructure
- Manage all production problem management and escalation, and drive a total quality culture to continually improve reliability and resiliency and operating efficiency
- Develop and own (in partnership with our technology leadership team) the strategic technology operational roadmap for the company
A builder, enabler, and amplifier of world class internet-scale systems and teams:
- Build, manage, and lead our core data center and network operations teams, ensuring the efficient and reliable operations of our global exchange
- Establish core capacity and operational metrics, and enable all technology teams with tooling, frameworks, and training necessary to continually optimize our platforms for efficiency and reliability
- Ensure the effective management and operation of our mission-critical infrastructure 24/7, including all problem detection, escalation, and management
- As a key member of our technology leadership team, organize and drive integrated release planning and coordination and design across platform, software, analytics, and infrastructure teams
- Ensure and drive alignment across all of our development scrum teams to performance, metrics, and common CI/CD standards and best practices
- Ensure that all Index teams design and build supportability, resiliency, security, and reliability in from day one, and inspire other team members to do the same
- Effectively represent our escalation processes and operational system capabilities and strategies to diverse internal teams, as well as to external partners and customers
- Track record of building and inspiring high performing technology teams, and developing high potential talent into world class technology leaders
- A respected technical and process role model and mentor for technology teams, leading, motivating, and challenging a diverse globally distributed technology team
Efficiency and reliability focused technology infrastructure leadership:
- Develop quality and operational excellence strategy and drive data-driven best practices as a core member of a technology leadership team
- Build, maintain, and drive the technology operational roadmap, in close collaboration with CTO and other technology leaders
- Champion for efficiency and reliability first, and data-driven decisions, development, and delivery
- Pragmatic operational leadership, able to balance long-term investments with near-term execution and business impact
- Communicate operational measures and continuous improvement strategies, and influence technology and product direction of peers and executive leadership
- Make and meet commitments, communicating changes in plans whether they be design or timeline modifications honestly and transparently
Leadership role model and exemplar:
- Excellent communication skills, which include active listening and the ability to present complex ideas in concise written and verbal descriptions which are easily understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong systems thinker, able to assess complex systems and processes, drive focus on the key objective metrics that are most impactful to the business, and drive highly targeted initiatives and tooling to continually optimize and improve same
- Detailed focused, and relentless in driving open issues and vulnerabilities to positive closure
- Strong people skills - able to communicate with colleagues while simultaneously building credibility and rapport. Also, able to modify one's behavioral style to respond to the needs of others while maintaining own objectives
- A strong leader who can lead, manage and inspire teams both locally and remotely in today’s increasingly virtual world
- An organized individual who is very detail oriented and can develop plans necessary for teams to meet specific goals
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situations and obtain buy-in from those affected
- An independent worker who can take the initiative to define and prioritize specific goals and objectives, and to do the same for others
- A team player that works hard, admits their strengths and weaknesses, and has the flexibility to improve by learning new things
- Inspirational and results-oriented leader, capable of earning the trust and respect of high performing engineering teams
- High integrity. Great judgement. Persistent. Winning Attitude.
Here's What You Need:
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or Engineering or process heavy engineering discipline, or equivalent
- 10+ years leadership experience in large scale commercial data center environments (ad tech preferred)
- 6+ years of significant experience with globally-distributed industry-scale platforms (experience with high volume low latency distributed platforms strongly preferred)
- Expert in modern CI/CD pipelines, containerization, and distributed cloud storage
- Demonstrated history of developing, implementing, and continually improving robust NOC monitoring and problem management and escalation processes in mission-critical 24/7 environments
- Demonstrated history as an advocate and coach for observability, reliability, and resiliency best practices and continuous improvement, and planning for global scale one day
- Demonstrated ability developing, advancing, and evolving a robust operational roadmap, and incorporating same into strategic product and technology roadmaps
- Expert in capacity management and forecasting, and global scale infrastructure monitoring and alerting
- Expert in leveraging continuous integration and deployment tooling and best practices, with a preference for cross-platform stacks and containerization (Git, Gitlab CI/CD, Sonar, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Demonstrated history of managing corporate IT in a fast growing global company
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize the work effort across geographically distributed teams and ensure that tasks are completed on schedule with quality
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead globally distributed high performance teams, driving greenfield development in fast moving industries
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and grow high performing technical talent at all levels
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans at no cost to you
- Time off and flexible work schedules
- Retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Stock options and equity packages
- Generous parental leave
- Monthly wellness stipend plus fitness discounts and quarterly wellness group activities
- Home office stipend
- Community engagement opportunities and donation-matching program
- Annual (temporarily virtual) company retreats and regular community-led team events
Equal employment opportunity
At Index Exchange, we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunities. We celebrate diversity of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification—diversity is the human experience. For those who show grit, passion, and humility—Index will welcome you.
Accessibility for applicants with disabilities
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you’d like to request a reasonable accommodation.
Index Everywhere, Index Anywhere
Our corporate headquarters are in Toronto, with major offices in New York, Montreal, Kitchener, Boston, London, San Francisco, and many other global cities. As a major global advertising exchange, we are committed to operating as a tightly knit global team, and embracing and empowering talent wherever our colleagues may be. All of our technology positions and teams are open to remote and virtual work.
*COVID-19 guidance: We have re-opened offices in various cities following local guidelines but are continuing to maintain a flexible work environment.